StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I put on a local obstacle race to raise money for our parks.

Customer Question

I put on a local obstacle race to raise money for our parks. I designed an obstacle that is gathering a lot of attention on the national level I have been asked to bring this obstacle to the obstacle course world championships. I need to design a steel frame that would be 22 feet wide X 40 foot long and 18-20 feet tall. This would have 4 rows of 2"x3" tubing running the top 40 foot length and supported every 10 feet with posts. I over calculate weight at 16,000 pounds spread over the 12 posts. I need 5 cross braces, 3 with 3 posts and 2 with 2 posts. my question is what to use for the cross brace. I was told to use 3" X 3" square tube with a 5/16 x5" flat bar welded on. is this enough or overkill?
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: Yes this is coming out of my pocket as a donation to our parks. Please help and go easy on me. LOL
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 months ago.
Hello
I can help.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I put on a local obstacle race to raise money for our parks. I designed an obstacle that is gathering a lot of attention on the national level I have been asked to bring this obstacle to the obstacle course world championships. I need to design a steel frame that would be 22 feet wide X 40 foot longand 18-20 feet tall. This would have 4 rows of 2"x3" tubing running the top 40 foot length and supported every 10 feet with posts. I over calculate weight at 16,000 pounds spread over the 12 posts. I need 5 cross braces, 3 with 3 posts and 2 with 2 posts. my question is what to use for the cross brace. I was told to use 3" X 3" square tube with a 5/16 x5" flat bar welded on. is this enough or overkill?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will not call

Can you post a sketch or picture of the obstacle for me to see?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will tomorrow