walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.

I want to build a 27 ft decorative beam across a 30 ft

Customer Question

I want to build a 27 ft decorative beam across a 30 ft vaulted ceiling. It will have no structural properties except to have the ability to carry its own weight over that distance. What size and material will need to be used. We are looking for a beam about 10" tall and 9" wide. It will be wrapped and stained.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

I can help

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any pictures you can share with me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The finish carpenter used 3/4 " plywood which they laminated together. It is 9 " tall. We have a 3/4" deflection in the center of the beam. The plan was to put a similar beam on the other size of the beam and have a 8" board top and bottom to close off. The carpenter stated that he believes the deflection will increase as time goes on. We bracketed between the two trusses. They are 12 x 12 with asphalt shingles. The interior is a 12 x 9. The wall is 9' tall. The bottom of the beam is 10'
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Let me run some Steel and also Engineered Lumber options for you. Either option can be wrapped/boxed in with wood of your choice.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

I looked at steel options and they are all very heavy.

I also looked at using two Engineered Lumber members as the two sides of a box. You can put in intermediate blocking to form your box beam and then wrap it with thin wood vernier.

I can give you an engineered wood option for your 27’ clear span faux beam:

Double 1-3/4” x 9-1/4” Versa-Lam 2.0 2800 DF

This double beam will have less than ½” of deflection at midspan

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area.

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions