walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I'm using 1.9mm thick Z250's for a mezzanine. Wondering what

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I'm using 1.9mm thick Z250's for a mezzanine. Wondering what the best solution is to make a smooth connection for my structural flooring? THey are design to have a 10% overlap
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I'm needing to keep the floor flat as it will be a livable space. But the Z's will have an overlap and will be hard to work with to make the floor completely flat. Does that ake sense?
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: i don't think so
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 3 months ago.

What kind of subfloor will you have on the ZPurlins?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Structaflor Red Tongue 3600x900x22mm

Z-sections have one broad and one narrow flange allowing the two sections to fit together snugly, making them suitable for lapping.

With your Structaflor Red Tongue 3600x900x22mm subfloor, your floor will be flat enough that you will not even notice the very minor overlap.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks. But this has not satisfied my question. The gap will be noticable. It rises at minimum 1.9mm over 10% of the joist length at the join. Assuming the Z is perfectly rolled from the factory. This may be more. If a join lands on the overlap it will be even more noticable. I understand you may not have a solution for me. So please tell me how I go about getting my deposit back please. Thanks.

Z-sections have one broad and one narrow flange allowing the two sections to fit together snugly, making them suitable for lapping. That means that the narrow flange will nest inside the broad flange.

In my opinion, the 1.9 mm will not be noticeable over an approximate 250 mm distance, under your subfloor.

I will send a message to customer service to process a deposit refund.

Good Luck with your project