StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Just trying to complete from yesterday. This eric with the

Customer Question

Just trying to complete from yesterday. This eric with the steel bldg and 20ft 2x12's are pricey--need 44 around $2k. I was wondering about using the aluminum purlins as ceiling joists to support only the ceiling. They could span 20ft section. I am looking for good solution that is most cost and time effective.
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: I was working with him yesterday. Sent him a pic of the inside steel bldg. I hope it is same person.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 4 months ago.

I can help

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 4 months ago.
Hello
I can check the existing aluminum purlins for the additional load. I will need some more information from you and will need to submit an additional service offer to do that analysis
I will need a cross section drawn of the purlins with exact dimensions and thicknesses. B you'll need to use a micrometer.
Are you able to provide that type of sketch?
I will also need to know the spacing of the existing purlins
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the aluminum purlins are 1/16th thick; 8" by 3" L by 21' long. The large space varies between 5-6' and the peak area 2 feet.
picture is below. Want to know if I can attach 2 x 4's attached flat to purlins and run my 1/2 inch sheet rock for ceiling. Dead weight would be wood, plus sheet rock and insulation. Is that possible. Would I need to add anything in between purlins? Would you be able to sign off on my plans that I submit to county., Steel bldg requires engineer or architect to sign off.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=76d9f323f9&view=fimg&th=1572f081a00e37f7&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ-B0GefA3KoMZ0vup4jmlFYnPLIU0WTwnS5TDQanVYETsHGE7UrC95PRSwc0EN2CkqzmqHfpktJXsM5Y8wZC5-b2ap8zOK0AbEVdZqKPafjuy4gHb_SaT68qD0&ats=1473963082100&rm=1572f081a00e37f7&zw&sz=w1366-h667

No. In order to sign off on plans, I would need to review every calculation from the metal building supplier and check all of the foundations and anchor rods. that means taking liability and responsibility for the entire structure. That is not what the website is set up for.