walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

We would like to remove a wall on our first floor. The

Customer Question

We would like to remove a wall on our first floor. The length of the span is approx. 25ft. of 2X10 spaced at 16"oc. The width of the room will be 11ft. There is a bedroom on the second floor directly above this area.
The contractor says that the existing wall can be removed without re-supporting as it is not a load bearing wall. My wife and I are not entirely comfortable with not having the support.
The house is two story brick construction with a flat roof and is 90+ years old. Do we follow the contractors recommendation or enlist a structural engineer?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 9 months ago.

Hello

I can help.

If this is not a load bearing wall, then the contractor is correct, but I would not leave it to him to determine if it's a load bearing wall. Definitely have an engineer investigate if the wall will need a beam to replace it and, if so, what size the beam needs to be.