StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Question pertains to a basement garage. This is a one story

Customer Question

Question pertains to a basement garage. This is a one story ranch with a basement and a shop in the basement. The basement shop currently has two single standard with garage doors. (2 - 2 X 10 headers on each door.) I want to remove the single doors, put in standard width (18') double door with hopes to install a Junior Beam (ASTM A-36), 5" depth, 5" width, .416" flange thickness, and .313" web thickness. House is in GA.
JA: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: No, I believe it will be a standard single story load, exterior wall, of course. The goal is to reduce the header height to accommodate a 7'6" X 18' double garage door.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 10 months ago.
Hello
I can help
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Question pertains to a basement garage. This is a one story ranch with a basement and a shop in the basement. The basement shop currently has two single standard with garage doors. (2 - 2 X 10 headers on each door.) I want to remove the single doors, put in standard width (18') double door withhopes to install a Junior Beam (ASTM A-36), 5" depth, 5" width, .416" flange thickness, and .313" web thickness. House is in GA.
JA: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: No, I believe it will be a standard single story load, exterior wall, of course. The goal is to reduce the header height to accommodate a 7'6" X 18' double garage door.

Is the wall on the gable end?

Are the joists parallel or perpendicular to the beams?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wall is not on a gable end and it is perpendicular to the beam. A second option can be stick with the single doors existing. Take one door, increase the opening to 9' wide and 7' plus 6" or 9", whatever we can obtain by replacing the existing 2 - 2 X 10 Pine, with steel or laminated beams. I would think steel would get me a higher opening. (Reducing the header height.)

So this is supporting the first floor, the attic, and the roof?

What is the length from the ridge to the eave?

Will it support any ceramic tile?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you are correct. It will support a portion of the main floor, to include a small master bath, with ceramic tile in the shower and bathroom floor. Are you asking the ridge of the roof, to the eave?
Correct, roof ridge to eave
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Roof ridge to eave, I believe is 17'5".
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would prefer to stick with the existing 2 single garage doors, and for your services, focus on the one standard single door opening, and adding a foot to it's width, and 6" - 9" to it's height. Existing header is 2 - 2 X 10 Pine, placed right up against the sill support plates (2 - 2"X4"). I would think that would be an easier project since the span would be less.

Ok. Can I get back to you this evening?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sure. The replacement doors are on sale, and end today, but if we miss it, I am sure they will go back on sale.

You can plan for a W5x19 beam ASTM A992 Gr. 50. It's 5" deep x 5" wide and weighs 19 pounds per foot.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there a length restriction on the W5X19? I know I gave you two different options, with the single door being Option 1. Just was asking just in case I see where the double door becomes a better option. Thanks.

That was for the 9' span you requested.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well, the standard door is 9', so the span would have to be, probably a foot longer. I would actually like to go with a 10' side door, bringing the span to 11'-12', for the header.

Right I used 9' plus 1' as requested on August 10 at 3:54.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok...so to the most recent question. Going with a oversized door, with a width of 10', which I would guess a 6" extra on each side, equating to 11' total beam length; will your answer still apply?

No. You'll need a bigger beam.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, are you going to provide me with that information? So, to be clear, we are looking the shortest beam (height) to support a header replacement (current header 2 - 2'X10", standard single door 7'H X 9'W) which the new single door will be oversized in width and height. (9'6"W X 7'6"H). Floor joist is perpendicular to header, roof ridge to eaves = 17'6" and a small portion of main floor load is a master bath (6' X 8') with ceramic tiles. Home is in Georgia, so minimal snow/ice load on roof. Is there anything else you need to recalculate? Thank you.

This should really be asked as a separate question.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is a summary of all I have asked you from the very beginning of paying for your services. If it is too much, let me know, I will request a refund and work it myself.

Actually, the original question was for the double door. Then you asked for me to check it for the shorter length, because that's the door you wanted to buy. That was the question I answered.

I'll request the refund for you now. Good luck with your project.

I just sent through the refund request. Good luck with your project.