walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I am building a hunting camp in Colorado made out of five

Customer Question

I am building a hunting camp in Colorado made out of five (5) "one trip" 8 ft X 40 ft X 9.5 ft cargo shipping containers, and am interested in building a foundation out of H-Beams upon which to set the containers on. Four are at ground level, but one is stacked on top of two others. Each container weighs approx. 15,000 lbs. Was planning to drill/dig a 6 ft "pier" hole with a tractor fence post auger and set in concrete. Next, I plan to weld a "cap" made of the same H-beam across from each pier to span 16 ft (2- 8 ft containers "married" together with 20 ft of interior walls removed to make a finished room 16 ft X 40 ft.
My question is what size H beam would be good/best to use? 6" X 15#, 4" X 18#? Any suggestions will help.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 9 months ago.

I can help

Can you draw a rough sketch with some dimensions and share it with me?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you provide email address to send sketch to?

The Chat Window should have a button on it that allows you to attach a file.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Pls see two JPG files below. Containers are 8 Ft wide X 40 Ft long X 9.5Ft Tall. Floor plan sketch + Proposed H - Beam Layout

Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You can use a W10x19 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 16’ clear span foundation beams. The beam is 4” wide and 10.25” deep. It weighs 19 pounds per foot of beam length.

You could also use W8x21 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 16’ clear span foundation beams. The beam is 5.25” wide and 8.25” deep. It weighs 21 pounds per foot of beam length.

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks