StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Need to find max load an existing second story storage deck

Customer Question

Hello need to find max load an existing second story storage deck can support. It is made out of steel I beams and braces. What will be the easiest way to get this done. I do not know the steel grade only know the I beams dimensions.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 5 months ago.
Hello
I can help
Can you post a framing sketch with all dimensions and sizes?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I need to calculate the max load a second story steel beam deck would support. I do not know how to get this done don't have steel beams grade , I do have the main dimensions of the beams.
Or can I least find a way to know only one of the beams max load would be and take this as the base line? will this be a safe assumption?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I looked at some charts in internet to calculate I beams max load but nothing make sense to me.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The deck has 17 I beams spaced 6.25" from each other, in a 65 ft. span(deck length) by 28ft (beams length). So the whole deck is 65 X 28 Ft.
Beams themselves are 7" tall; Width 8";and thickness 1/2" we have angle iron braces across the beams.
All the deck is supported by vertical I beams every 13ft.
Please post a sketch
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It will take me a few...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
See if this would help...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
here it is another sketch see this makes more sense to you...
This is an interior (inside building) application.
All these I beams are bolted.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Main frame is made of I beams, the iron angle braces go across the beams.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
was this helpful?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you still there?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess not.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did I get an answer???? if yes how can I get to see my anwer?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am still awaiting for an answer, could anyone help me see my answer?

Hello. I apologize for the delay. I never received a notice that you had responded.

I have looked at your sketch and it is helpful. I do have some more questions for you. I can provide the allowable line load on a single beam of your choosing as this question or I can submit an additional service offer to provide the maximum allowable capacity (based on the controlling failure mode of the controlling beam) as an additional service, if you would like.

If you want the allowable line load (please note this is different than an allowable floor load), I can get that for you this morning. If you would like the allowable floor load in psf, I will submit the additional service offer for you. If you accept the offer, I will need about 4 hours once you answer all the remaining questions I will have to provide you with the capacity.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello, so the allowable "line load" will this be as the max load an I beam would support? vs. allowable "floor load" the whole floor would support? not sure. Could you elaborate a little bit more? What I need is the maximum load the system can support. If the I beam load can be calculated as an isolated system being this the worst case scenario then lets get the line load.

Different units. Max floor load would be in pounds per square foot and controlled by the most critical member in the system.

The max beam load would be a line load on a single beam. It will not give you the capacity of the floor.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
O.K. lets go for the floor max load. Do you need anything else?
Like any other piece of information? thanks again for your patience and support.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here are some actual pictures of the structure.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please let me know if something else is needed.

I will need quite a bit more information to determine the allowable floor loading. I will also need to submit an additional service offer for you.

I will post all of the questions I need answers to and then will submit the offer.

I need a plan sketch of the framing showing all posts and beams with dimensions.

I will need to know the exact dimensions of all beams.

I submitted the offer for you to consider. If you accept the offer, I will provide you the allowable floor loading within 4 hours of receiving all of the information requested.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can not accept this offer ($180.00).
Could you please then just provide an answer for the max beam load capacity?
thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have not get an answer so far what is next now???
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks.
Which beam do you want the allowable line load for?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The main floor "I "beams please, one of the 17 beams I mentioned before. If you could include I brief explanation of the calculation will be greatly apreciated, Thanks again.