StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer

We are in the process of extending our garage 10 feet

Customer Question

we are in the process of extending our garage 10 feet towards the street. Our home is a typical mid century split level. The existing garage door is 8 feet wide in a 12 foot wall with second story bedroom and roof above. 2x4 walls over approximately 3 feet of concrete block foundation, above grade.
we have built out from there 10 feet and added a second story open porch with a hip roof extension above it. And here is my concern, the porch roof tucks into the existing structure, and is supported there, and by 2 posts on the street end that sit on a parapet wall. Those posts are the only place the very robust new foundation supports the roof structure which is 10x 12 with a 5 in 12 slope. ceiling joists run parallel with the door openings.
We are coming to the point where it is time to remove the existing doorway and sheetrock. According to calculations on the Better Header website we will need 3 2x8 with 2 3/4 inch steel plates as a header to span the 8 feet. My concern is can the foundation wall Which I assume is filled block bear the weight of the new roof structure as well as the new heavy header. If it fails, the entire roof structure will be compromised.
I am considering scraping the architects design and instaling posts at 5 feet from the existing garage door to the front of the addition, and build half columns to cover added 2x support just outside the sheathing which will add 4 contact points with the new foundation. This would trash our new fiberglass patio deck, but give me peace of mind.
Am I overthinking this. I really want this to turn out well,
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 months ago.
How are you doing?
I'll be happy to assist you
Do you have any sketches or drawings or images you can share?