walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

What size wide flange beam will support 1692#per of on a

Customer Question

What size wide flange beam will support 1692#per of on a 25ft span
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 4 months ago.

I can help

What will this be supporting?

Let me know when you come back online

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2 story farmhouse

So you have calculated your loading as 1,692 pounds per lineal foot of your 25' clear span beam?

Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You can use a W16x40 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 25’ clear span beam. The beam is 7” wide and 16” deep. It weighs 40 pounds per foot of beam length. You will need to provide a 2”x8” wood nailer bolted to the top flange of the steel beam. You will need to provide solid mechanical connections of each of the joists to the wood nailer on top of the steel beam. This will provide the needed lateral bracing of the compression flange of the steel beam. You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your column supports, and determine foundation requirements

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any more questions