StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I am about to install a 2500 gallon cylindrical water

Customer Question

I am about to install a 2500 gallon cylindrical water storage tank with 95" diameter. I would like to have it sit on a concrete slab. How thick should the slab be, and should I use regular rebar to reinforce it.
The ground the slab is sitting on is mostly lime stone with exception of 5" of top soil.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 11 months ago.
Hello
I can help
Do you need the slab to be larger than the cylinder? 10' square, for example?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

How large does the entire slab need to be and will there be anything else placed on it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is good. Only thing on slab will be the 2500 gallon water tank. So when full total weight is going to be a 21,000 lbs. including the weight of the tank that is 300 lbs.

Will this be indoors or outdoors? If outdoors, what region of the country are you in? Will frost heave adversely impact the use?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Outdoors. We are located in Wimberley Texas which is central Texas. Wimberley is located between Sustin and San Antonio

Great. I would make this a 12" thick pad for the 10' diameter circle. You can use regular rebar, but epoxy coated would be recommended due to the exterior application.

I would also remove the 5" of topsoil and place this on soil that is better suited for bearing such a heavy load.