StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer

I have a room in a remodel with conventional 8' ceiling that

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I have a room in a remodel with conventional 8' ceiling that I want to convert to cathedral. Walls are 2 X 6 - 16"OC - roof is a 4/12 pitch and is
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: 12' at the top. Room dimensions are 22'W X 24'L x 12'H. We want to install an LVL Ridge beam - put up new 2X8 Rafters - 16"OC - screw/glue into the 2X4 current trusses (24"OC) and run a support column directly to the basement and put in a 3'X3"X2'D footing under the basement floor for support. What size LVL will we need? House is in Oregon - 30 minutes from Coast - moderate snow but not like the midwest.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We are converting a traditional 8ft ceiling standard trusses 24" OC - putting an LVL ridge beam at the top of the ceiling in a room = 22' W X 24' L X 12' H (at ceiling center 4/12 pitch). Ridge beam would run the 24' Length.
We will install the ridge beam with column supports at each end into the basement onto a 3'W X 3'L x 2' D concrete support footing (4000 PSI) - then will install 2" X 8" Rafters 16" on center from the ridge beam to the top plate of the 2" X 6" exterior walls - and screw/glue the existing 2" X 4" rafters to a new 2" X 8" rafter.So - in a nutshell we install the LVL ridge beam with support columns all the way to the new basement footers -
put in new rafters - attach the old rafters to the new and hurricane tie the 2" X 8" rafters to the 2" X 6" top plate.
Once that is done we cut away the 2" X 4 old truss support system for the 8 ft. ceiling and have a cathedral ceiling.Will we need purlins for this 4/12 pitch roof or will the LVL support be sufficient. (it is actually 4.3/12 pitch) and a maximum ceiling rise height of 48" at the center point. I am assuming we are fine with the LVL alone and would prefer to not put in
purlins since this is not a tall ceiling at 12 ft.This home is 30 minutes WEST of Salem, Oregon - 30 minutes from the coast. Light to moderate snow load - nothing like the midwest....Do you see any problem with this?
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 3 months ago.
I can help with this
You need the size of the ridge beam?
What is the city in Oregon so I can look at snow loading?

Hello. Do you still need help with this?