walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Im removing 1 level exterior wall of 25' expanding room out

Customer Question

im removing 1 level exterior wall of 25' expanding room out over the patio 12'. This is a two level house. Im looking for the proper size beam to support the opening. I was thinking of using readyheader. comprised of steel and wood. Two 1"x6" steel plate with with three micro beam 1 1/2 by 6". These will be bolted together. Does this make sense
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 7 months ago.

I can help

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Its a 2 story house. no basement. house sits on a slab.There is a catheral ceiling with trust 2 feet from the ridge line on every beam 2x4's. celing height is 14'on 2nd level.2nd floor is 18" out over the 1st floor. 1s.t floor is 49' x 22', 2nd floor is 49' x 25'. The wall im looking to remove is the exterior wall 25' on the 1st floor back of the house. above that space is kitchen, dining room. all hardwood floors
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The roof is a hip roof with asphalt shingles
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
when can I expect an answer?

Sorry for the delay. Do you have a few pictures of the house that you can share with me? I want to make sure I get a good feel for your configuration.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will get them to you tomorrow

OK, let me know when you come back online

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I attached pictures of the house. I remeasured.1 st level is 23' x 52', 2nd level 26' x 52'. Picture 853 is the opening of 25'. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
HIP Roof

Can you look at the picture numbers that you attached, I do not see a picture 853.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Its the last one ending in 853

Ok

I have a few questions.

1. Can you tell me where the 25' opening will be relative to the existing 3 small windows and the existing sliding glass door?

2. Will any of the beam be under the 2nd story bump-out of he house?

3. What city and state do you live in for possible snow load consideration?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1. The 25' opening goes from the end of the house(Left while looking at picture), to the octagon window,
2. 3' of the bump out
3. Long Island , NY
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the windows, door and Octagon window will be removed

OK, I have the location.

1. I need to know the span of the deck joists, from the house wall to their beam support, and the same as for the 2nd floor bump-out?

2. I also need to know the span of the 2nd floor joists from the exterior wall in question, inward toward the wall in the middle of the house that the other ends rest on. This is assuming that your 2nd floor joists run perpendicular to the wall in question.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1. 11 feet. That will now become the outside wall. 2. 12 feet

Sorry for the delay.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

For your loading and 25' clear span, you are looking at something in the range of two 1" think by 13.5" deep steel plates with your three micro-lam beams.

A 6" flitch plate beam will not work.

If you wanted to go with a steel beam, you could use the following:

You can use a W16x31 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 25’ clear span beam. The beam is 5.5” wide and 15.875” deep. It weighs 31 pounds per foot of beam length. You will need to provide a 2”x6” wood nailer bolted to the top flange of the steel beam. You will need to provide solid mechanical connections of each of the floor joists to the wood nailer on top of the steel beam. This will provide the needed lateral bracing of the compression flange of the steel beam. You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your column supports, determine foundation requirements, and check your structure’s lateral stability due to the fact that you are removing a large portion of wall.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thats seems rather extensive. What is the LBS per ft you came up with?

You have to remember that a 25' clear span is a significant span.

Based on your configuration, I used the following loading:

Live Load of 960 plf

Dead Load of 360 plf

That is assuming a 40 psf Live Load on the 2nd floor and also the deck.

I also used 10 psf Live Load in the attic

I also used 30 psf Snow Load on your roof for the Long Island area.

I assumed a 12' tributary load width.

Let me know if you have any more questions.