StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer

I'm trying to figure out what can I use to span a 30'

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I'm trying to figure out what can I use to span a 30' opening for a garage that im building
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: the structure is 30' deep and 45' wide, on one side of the structure it wil have an upstairs, the bottom floor will be shop space
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: I want the shop space to have an open area, so I need a beam that would support the 18' x 30' living quarters upstairs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Structural Engineer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The beam will not have to support any roof loads.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 3 months ago.
Hello. I can help.
I'm away right now. Can I get back to you this evening?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sure, I have also added a few pictures that explains the situation I'm in. This is for a shop that I'm building with a small living quarters on the second story.Scenario 1:
- Using trusses so roof loads are not a factor, The beam would just be supporting the floor load and wall weight.
-- LVL Beam , Steel beam size?
Scenario 2:
- Structural ridge over the shop space.
- I have already sized the structural ridge and it would be 2 - 1-3/4" x 18" LVL Beams.
- Its a metal room with no wood decking.
-- What size would the beam need to be to support the additional load of a structural ridge?

Good morning. What is your city and state so I can look at snow loading?

For scenario 1 you can plan for a W14x34 steel beam ASTM A992 Gr. 50 (you will need to have the joist connection detailed to brace the beam against lateral torsional buckling) or a 7" x 20" 2.0E LVL

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also, looks like my local supplier doesn't carry the 20" LVL's. They next size they stock are 24" and thats a little bigger than I would like. The largest beam the local steel supplier carry is a W14x26# ***** W16x26#What size would be needed for a 20' span in each of the above scenarios?Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have also just thought of another alternative option ( see attachment).So this third scenario wouldn't have a structural ridge so thats not a factor and the trusses over the space where the beams are going are running parallel to the 2 x 12 floor joist.Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I may use I joists for the 19'7" span in the middle, I'm not 100% sure at the moment.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also the 2x12 floor joists or I joist would be attached to the beam using hangers.They will not be resting on top of the beam.

The 24" LVL is fine, but the I beams are not large enough.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What about the third option that I posted?
Do you mind asking that as a new question? We're considerably past a normal level of detail with two different options for each of two conditions

Hello. Do you have any other questions on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.