StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I am looking to verify a load / beam calculation performed

Customer Question

I am looking to verify a load / beam calculation performed by my structural engineer who has sized / specified a series of steel beams to support the force on the walls of our new pool. I'd like an independent calculation of the types of steel beams (best with UPN or IPE number) needed to support the forces as described below:
1. The pool is 1.6m deep, and has walls of length 6m & 2.4m respectively (i.e. a rectangular shape.)
2. The structure to support the pool is free-standing, and consists of heavy duty reinforced plastic panels which make up the wall. The panels are 1.2m * 8m in size, with two stacked on each to make the depth of 1.6m
3. The walls are reinforced with a series of welded beams configured as follows:
a) 2 beams of 6m in length, running horizontally along each of the longest pool walls, 10cm from the bottom of the pool
b) 2 beams of 2.4m in length, running horizontally along each of the shortest pool walls, 10cm from the bottom of the pool.
c) all 4 beams at (a) & (b) are welded together, creating one ring beam.
d) 2 beams of 6m in length, running horizontally along each of the longest pool walls, 20cm from the top of the pool
e) 2 beams of 2.4m in length, running horizontally along each of the shortest pool walls, 20cm from the top of the pool
f) all 4 beams at (d) & (e) are welded together, creating one ring beam.
g) between the welded ring beams described at (c) and (f) vertical steel beams are placed 30cm from the left and right outside edge of each 1.2m wide plastic panel, and welded to the top and bottom beam. E.g. on each 6m wall 10 vertical beams are used, on each 2.4m wall 4 vertical beams are used.
The question is, expressed as UPN or IPE beams (based on, for example the steel bluebook) what would be appropriate beam sizes for all beams described above (3 specific types of beams.)
Please specify the force and bending moment calculations you used to arrive are your sizings, so I can verify the inputs used are the same.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 5 months ago.
I can help. I'm away right now, though. Can I get back to you tomorrow morning?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Yes, you can.

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 4 months ago.

I'm taking a look at this now. There are definitely a lot of beams and analysis involved in this. Can you post a detailed sketch for me and I will submit an additional service offer to provide all of this analysis.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Actually, it can be simplified to 4 rings beams placed at equal spacings all around the structure. I. E. All horizontal beams, no vertical.

Does that make it easier for you?

Yes. I will assume true ring beams, without connections, just a continual beam.