walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I'm replacing my front concrete steps with 8 ft wide granite

Customer Question

I'm replacing my front concrete steps with 8 ft wide granite steps in NH. Unfortunately, the current steps are supporting a 28 x 7 1/2 foot porch, that also has a rock column under each corner for support. I need to determine the best way to support the porch, temporarily while demolition and reconstruction occurs and the best method of final support, given the added weight of typical snow loads for this area.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 5 months ago.

Do you have any pictures you can share with me?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hope this helps!

Thanks for the nice pictures.

What size are the timber beam members that come out perpendicular to the house and are supported by the wood posts on concrete piers?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The joists supporting the 7 1/2 ft (house to front of porch) are 2x8. There is a double 2x8 under the columns (perpendicular to house). This is where the supports (original and temporary in pix) are located. There are no wood posts - as per pix, there are rock columns at each end of the porch. There was also the rock / concrete steps that support the center of the porch.
Expert:  walkereng replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the delay.

From your pictures, it appears you will need provide additional timber posts directly under the two post that are on top of the porch, on each side of the existing stone steps.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I would use a triple 2x8 to span between the two new posts under the porch.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks