walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I need to size a beam to clear span 24 ft (28 ft overall

Customer Question

I need to size a beam to clear span 24 ft (28 ft overall with 2 ft support walls on each end)
It needs to support 14 ft of roof (half of a 12 ft span and half a 16 ft span) and 8 ft of floor (half of a 16 ft span) and an 8 ft wall above it. Located in New Hampshire.
Thanks
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 5 months ago.

I can help

1. Do you have any kind of sketch you can share with me?

2. What city are you near in New Hampshire?

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 5 months ago.
Hello
I can help
Sorry for jumping in. Didn't see it was answered
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I attached a floor plan sketch and front elevation. The location is Northwood, NH. (close to Concord, NH)
I would like to size Glulam, built up LVL, and solid pine/hemlock beam.Thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I didn't receive an answer
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 4 months ago.
Hello. I'm sorry you haven't received an answer yet. We don't jump in on each other's questions. If aren't being helped by 5 pm EST today, I will help you to get the answer you need, if you'd still like to continue.
Expert:  walkereng replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the delay, I was traveling this weekend. I am looking at your question and answers right now.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

There are no solid conventional lumber options for a 24' clear span.

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 24’ clear span beam:

Triple 1-3/4” x 22” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 DF

Single 5-1/8” x 22-1/2” Boise Glulam 24F-V4/DF

These are a Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area.

https://www.bc.com/locations/

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, determine foundation requirements, and check your structure’s lateral stability.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks