StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Need to size steel beams and bar joist building.

Customer Question

need to size steel beams and bar joist for a building.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 5 months ago.
Hello. I can help
What is it supporting?
What is the span?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I am confirming building dimensions, should have a layout by tomorrow, looking for an expert that I can e-mail the information, then need the beam size and bar joist layout.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello, is there anyone responding

I'm here. I need much more information to provide you any feedback. I can provide a beam size or bar joist size as this question. Not an entire plan layout.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Mr.StructuralEng, we have talked in the past couple of weeks, I need the beam size for 50'x60' building, there will be 2 beams, as the back 60' wall is open, so there will be a center beam and a beam at the back wall. The building is going to be a automotive repair shop and I am going to use 200 lbs/squ ft for our load, if you can also give me a bar joist size using 2ft on center for a starting calculation. The back wall will also have the roof load on it, with 1 post in the center, the back wall will have wooden wall constructed directly beneath it, consisting of 2x8-No 1 yellow pine, on 16" on center. The concrete wall on the back will have a 6" ledge for a beam pocket. The wall is 10" thick and 16' tall. The center beam will just have a the floor live and dead loads, the span on the center beam is 60' with 1 center post, and 60' less a 4 ft buttress wall for the beam to set in a 6" pocket on one side, and the 50' concrete wall on the other side. The floor is going to be steel bar joist with 2"x20 ga composite deck with 6" concrete. If you could please spec both steel beams, center and back wall, the supporting steel post, the bar joist, and if a 6" concrete floor would be adequate. Thanks for your consideration. Please let me know my cost and timing of you answer.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 4 months ago.

You do have the information you need, correct? I posted the calculations for you along with the sizes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did not understand the the link you provided, all i was able to access was a beam W14x30, with some calculations, I need that proposed layout for the floor system, and wish to compare to a bar joist system, my customer is leaning toward the bar joist, so I need the spec on them. Thanks, John
I will size the bar joist for you. I strongly recommend that joists not be used for a door system. It's fine that the client wants it, but you should inform him of he potential issues with the system.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your response. I am sorry, I do not understand the alternative system that you are proposing, could you provide some more detail on this system? For the bar joist system, what other draw backs are there besides the potential for vibrations, could this and other issues be minimized by over sizing the bar joist system? Also in your last response, you referred to a "door system" was this just a typo for floor system or did you have another meaning. If you could let me know on the bar joist sizing by Monday morning that would be great. Thanks for you effort. John

18k9 or 20k7 joists at 2'-0" o.c. is what you'll need for bars joists going 25'