walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I am removing two different interior walls. Start with the

Customer Question

I am removing two different interior walls. Start with the bigger one. The beam will go across the width of the house (mostly) (North and south) and will span (create opening) of 17'. This is on the main floor. There is an "attic room" above. The ceiling joists the beam is under (is supporting) are of course perpendicular (they go either East or West from the beam) to the new beam. Those joists are about 10 feet on one side of the beam (the ones going west) and the ones going east are about 14'. Asphalt shingles.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My question is simply what size LVL beam do I need. The ceiling is not real high (older house) so I would "prefer" to use a narrower beam (7 1/4....) and put 2 or even three together if needed - but don't know if that works. I am open to other type of beam (besides LVL but I assume that is the best choice).
Expert:  walkereng replied 5 months ago.

I can help

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll do my best. Q1 - It is beam #2 (no basement). HOWEVER - the picture shows the ceiling joists (the floor for the second story) going perpendicular to the roof. In my case, it is beam# ***** BUT it goes ACROSS (left to right - across the width of the house) to support joists going LONG-wise. so everything is turned 90 degrees. Q2 - Joist 3=9'5" and Joist 4=13'3". More coming.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Q3. I doubt trusses are factory built - house built in 1900. I think the roof trusses span to the exterior walls - I do not think the weight is transferred to interior walls.
Q4. Kansas City MO
more coming
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Q5. Asphalt
Q6. 2 story without basement. BUT, second story is really an "attic bedroom - side walls are slanted because encounter roof....
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We are spanning ACROSS the room - ideally 16' span but could make narrower if helps tremendously. neither end of span/beam reaches exterior wall, but within 3' on one side and 8" on other side. Joists (for first floor ceiling/second floor floor) we are supporting go length wise. One end of joists we are supporting reaches West exterior wall (9'5"). Those joists stop at the new beam (the one we are trying to put in). Then a new set of joists continues to East and reaches another supporting interior wall (13'3" away). So two 'sets" of beams, one set going west and one set going east is what we are supporting.
I think that is everything.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Prefer less "depth" - it is already a fairly low ceiling (again, built in 1900). So open to options. Obviously could reduce the 16' span, next logical width is 12'. However, we are open to having the beam as wide as want (could double, triple, quadruple... the beam to make it wide but less deep). Don't know how to use steel beam, but if had to, could figure it out - prefer LVL or some wood solution.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just checking to make sure this is still an active/open question. Thx

Sorry for the delay.

Is there any way you could draw a rough plan view sketch with some dimensions and share that with me. I am not sure I fully understand your configuration. I really want to be able to picture your layout before I size any beams. Thanks

Let me know when you come back online

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am back - I will try to send a drawing - gotta figure out how to do it, just need a little time.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here it is - room to the left (9.4') is a dining room. Room to right (13') is living room. Currently a narrow opening between two. The two sets of joists (the ones supporting the ceiling of dining room and the ones supporting the ceiling of the living room) are NOT connected, are NOT lined up.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There are 3 roofs. The main roof is over these two rooms - ridge runs perpendicular to joists shown - runs the same direction as the opening we want.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I can give you an engineered wood option for your 16’ span beam:

Triple 1-3/4” x 11-1/4” Versa-Lam 2.0 2800 DF

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/locations/#!/building-materials-distribution

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, determine foundation requirements, and check your structure’s lateral stability due to the fact that you are removing a large portion of wall.

Here is a computer run for the triple beam. Make sure you look at sheet 2 for the Connection Diagram.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** through this later tonight/tomorrow.

OK