StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I have a single story house which was built in 1972 and has

Customer Question

I have a single story house which was built in 1972 and has 1328 sf. It has concrete slab foundation. I had a L shaped wall 24" X 36", which was surrounding the back and left side of the refrigerator. This wall was in between the kitchen and the family room. None of the 3 posts for L shaped wall was 4x4. Some of them were constructed with three 2x6 to accommodate the outlet for the refrigerator.
We are in the middle of kitchen remodeling and I want to move the refrigerator to remove this wall to open up the area. Is there any possibility some of these post were weight bearing?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 5 months ago.

I can help

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The questions being asked for the answers are not relevant to my question. I am not asking for the size of the beam I must have. I am asking whether any of the post can be the weight bearing post.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 5 months ago.
Hello
I can help
Do you know what kind of roof system you have? Is it manufactured trusses or rafters and joists?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
manufactured trusses
If you have manufactured metal plate connected trusses, then it is almost certain that all interior walls are partitions only and not load bearing. It is very atypical to have three supports for a wood roof truss.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
With the further investigation, it is found that the 36" wall behind the refrigerator runs parallel to the 2 x 6 running from the exterior wall to the wall in middle of the house. The 24" wall left to the refrigerator runs parallel to the joist of the ceiling.
Based on the information I gathered from the internet articles, I think they are not load bearing walls. Am I correct?

Even if they are perpendicular, they are likely not bearing walls, based on my last post.

Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.