StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer

I would like to know whether I can build a raised outside

Customer Question

Hi, I would like to know whether I can build a raised outside deck around a pool, plus a free standing observation deck, that has fibre concrete cladding underneath for storage, out of a factory mezzanine floor structure. I would of course only use the galvanised steel frame, not the floor itself, this would also be replaced with fibre concrete flooring. The mezzanine I am referring to is shown on this website: The deck I want to build is a little like the one shown on this website: but I want to enclose the bottom so that I can use this for storage.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 4 months ago.

I can help

You can.

Would you be able to draw a rough sketch with some dimensions and share it with me? I can help you size various elements.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, I got into a bit of a confused state with the payment system here, seemed to keep looping me back, but seems OK now.First question is whether this kind of material would be suited for use as an external wall frame structure (eg would it need to be coated in something else in order to be used, such as concrete). Second is whether it is strong enough for a deck, these commercial mezzanines have to carry a fair bit, and this one seems to be routinely carrying weights of 2-3 tonnes, but do decks have to be even stronger than this?I would basically want to have a free standing observation deck of around 220m2 and a deck around a small above ground pool of around 80m2. The mezzanine is 340m2, so I would be looking at dividing it up and then having some left over. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here is what the currently owners have said about the mezzanine: The materials starting from the ground up Support posts are 75mm square galvanised tube Purlins are galvanised C section in both 100mm and 150mm each plated & then bolted (again galv bolts) Floor of mezzanine is treated 19mm tongue & groove cus***** ***** flooring held to purlins by brass coated tex screws.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 4 months ago.
Hello. I can help