walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I need to drill a wiring hole up through the middle of a 3

Customer Question

I need to drill a wiring hole up through the middle of a 3 ply, 1 3/4 inch ( 5 1/4 total ) 18 inch deep beam ( 20 foot span ) to mount a ceiling fan. Is this possible ? If so how large a hole can be drilled ? Drilling in this direction ( up through the depth of the beam) does not appear to be covered in the specs or drilling guide.
Thanks
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The reason you don't see any specs for this type of drilling is because you can't do it. A hole in that direction will decrease the load bearing capacity of the beam.