How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask StructuralEng Your Own Question
StructuralEng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 6875
Experience:  Structural Engineer
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
StructuralEng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am building a cabin. red a concrete contractor to build

Customer Question

I am building a cabin. Hired a concrete contractor to build the foundation/lower level using ICFS. I specified tapers for the top course to build the frame upon. The contractor didn't use them. Now I'm left trying to engineer a solution so I don't have to change the design. I'm thinking of attaching 2x lumber to the outside of the concrete to take the place of the tapers. I'm wondering if this solution would work, or if there is something better.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 9 months ago.
Hello. I can help
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I haven't seen your response.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 9 months ago.
When you say tapers, do you mean the corbels?
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 9 months ago.
You can attach 2x ledgers, but they really need to be cast in. They are specialty ledge connectors. Trying to post install something in ICF is not simple
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm talking about a special use ICF form where the insulation thickness is tapered back to create a concrete shelf that can hold framing. The tapers wasn't used. The concrete has been poured. I'm looking for a solution. Nothing can be cast in at this point. If you don't think you can help, that's ok. But I'm thinking there's a solution here. I can't be the only one this has happened to.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 9 months ago.
I understand. That is the corbeled form I mentioned.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
specifically what is your solution.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 9 months ago.
I would post install anchors with a ledger board, but it will be much more than you expect with the large eccentricity provided by the forms
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Exactly what are you talking about. I need to know what anchors you would spec and what size 2x lumber, and how close together the anchors need to be attached. Is there anything regarding the anchors I need to know. I understand how tricky this can be, only specific information is helpful
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 9 months ago.

This is remedial action for which there is really no industry standard. I can design a wood ledger with post installed anchors as an additional service. This will account for the severe bolt bending that will result from the anchors bending through the thickness of the forms.

Related Structural Engineering Questions