StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I Have a concrete foundation attached to my house that is

Customer Question

I Have a concrete foundation attached to my house that is 4ft deep with a footing , the back wall is 4ft 5inches above grade ( I built this 12 years ago for a future carport ) Now I would like to make it 8 ft. longer matching the exsisting wall, the wall is 10 inches wide. The local Bld. inspector is reguesting that I have it stamped by a structural engineer because of the 4 ft. 5 inches exsposed. I having a difficult time finding an engineer for such a small project . I would like to know if this really has to done .
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 11 months ago.
Hello
Having the wall stop that far above grade and not attach to a diaphragm puts it into a cantilever condition. That definitely does need to be looked at.

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.