walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.

Trying to find out if a upper deck and lower patio is

Customer Question

trying to find out if a upper deck and lower patio is correctly constructed. need to send pictures to review to get an answer
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 5 months ago.

I can help

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files/pictures.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do you have an email address I can send pictures and material info. won't down load
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
mine is***@******.***,
phone number is(###) ###-####

try sending to***@******.***

Let me know when items are sent so I can check.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I can give you my opinion based on what I can see from the pictures and the rough numbers I ran:

1. The 2x12 Southern Pine floor joist spanning approx. 14' and spaced at 16" o.c., appear to be adequate.

2. Picture 5 and 8, the center double 2x12 Southern Pine beam that is spanning approx. 14' is extremely overstressed under the code required loading of Live Load = 40 psf and Dead Load = 10 psf.

3. I am assuming the two edge beams that run parallel to the center beam in picture 7, are also double 2x12's. If so, these beams are also extremely overstressed under the code required loading of Live Load = 40 psf and Dead Load = 10 psf.

4. Any bending, twisting or bowing of support posts is not good.

5. Picture 10, I can not really comment on this configuration due to the fact that I can not tell the connection types and their condition.

6. Picture 3, I can not comment on the capacity of the roof support and framing member, but it appears that the support posts are on the small side.

You really need to get a local Structural Engineer to come out for a site visit to give you a more in depth inspection with recommendations for member capacities.

I noted it appears that several beams are extremely overstressed under the code required loading of Live Load = 40 psf and Dead Load = 10 psf.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any questions