walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Which is most recommended, an open or closed interior French

Customer Question

Which is most recommended, an open or closed interior French drain system for cellar water control. My concern is that an open system might cause ground moisture and possible bug infestation to enter cellar along with odder from air coming from below surface of cellar floor. In order to obtain a warranty from my contractor he wants an open system and will not give me one, if the job is not done his way.
Thanks,
Herb
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 6 months ago.
Hello
Did he give a reason why he's recommending the open system?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not really. I assume he is protecting himself that if the wall itself leaked water into the basement it would be caught by the open drain.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did not want the open system as in addition to the reasons I gave at the beginning of my request it is a fact that if the sump pump and back up system were to fail water to pour in through the opens cut in the wall for the French drain.
Let me do a little research and get back to you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the bad grammar in prior message.
I did not want the open system, as in addition to the reasons I gave at the start of my request, if the sump pump system failed, water could pour into the cellar through holes cut for the French drain system. In a closed system the floor would cover these holes and the entire drain system would be covered by concrete floor. The water coming into the cellar through these holes would be blocked. The only reason to keep the system open is to allow dripping walls to drain off into the French drain. I do not have water dripping off my walls, Water pressure makes the lower walls damp and in very heavy rains a small amount seeps in at the very base where the floor and wall meet. I do not have any flooding of the basement. My goal is to make the cellar walls and adjacent floor drier and mold free without adding any other additional risk.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where are you? Can you please advise me how much longer you might be so I can leave the computer to attend to some other activities and then check back with you. The computer will be left on. Thanks,
Herb
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I called the help line a little while ago to advise them I have never received an answer to my question. The time now is 7:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Saving Time. Is there a problem with my question. Please advise.
Herb