StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I have a question my duct work guy cut the joist web from

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question my duct work guy cut the joist web from the bearing end and the hole is 7" height and 13" width, inspector will not pass it for sure what could be a possible fix?
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: Hmmm, the 2 ducts are passing through the hole which I can re route and drill a hole of 6" into the joist 4' away from the bearing end which is allowable as per specifications the joist is TJI s31
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Structural Engineer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 8 months ago.
Hello
I can help
Is there a subfloor on this already?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have added a picture as well
Thank you. I'm looking now.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you think I should re route the duct and
You will have to reroute the duct. I would make the offending contractor pay for it. That's ridiculous
How many joists are affected?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2 joists
The easiest solution right now will be to remove the ducts, install a new TJI immediately adjacent to each affected TJI, and reroute the duct to the correct location. Then consider the impacted joists as abandoned in place.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can re route the duct and drill a hole 4' away from the bearing end which is allowable as per specs and will do a6" hole
Is there a finished floor in place yet?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No finished floor is not there yet
Once the new TJIs are in place, be sure that the subfloor is fastened to them before the finished floor is in place.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no other way to do it?
Unfortunately not. There is no way to reconstitute that web and because of that cut, it has virtually 0 shear capacity. It will fail in shear at much, MUCH lower than the design load.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Alrighty
The offending contractor absolutely knows this and he knows better. Unless this is his very first job and he's never worked with anyone on any other job, he absolutely knows that openings that close to a support are a no-no and he also knows that cutting out the entire web of a TJI is not acceptable.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Alright thank you for your help
If this guy can look at you with a straight face and say he didn't know better...well, I wouldn't let him back in my house.
No problem. I'm happy to help. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you. Good luck with your project.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
For sure I won't let him come back into my house