walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.

I have an external ground floor wall I want to remove, in

Customer Question

Hi I have an external ground floor wall I want to remove, in order to add on an extention and have a open plan space. One builder says I can not make the opening so wide due to the old construction and brick work. It is an old terraced house. Why can he use steel rsj and also use them for vertical supports at either end. The wall is 50cm deep and 4m wide.
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: This wall supports the 1st and 2nd floor of the house.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Structural Engineer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 5 months ago.
I can help
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 5 months ago.
I can help. I can help you for gravity load, but you will need to have a complete lateral analysis done on the structure to determine if it's acceptable to remove that much shearwall from the building.