StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer

What is the maximum span dimensional lumber that will

Customer Question

What is the maximum span for 4x12 dimensional lumber that will be used as a strutting beam? I am creating construction permit plans and I don't want to be way off on the beam.
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I have two walls that I want to remove to open up my family room. One is load bearing the rafters with an under-purlin. The wall I want to remove supports the under-purlin so I willl have to replace this wall with a strutting beam to support the under-purlin. Span of wall is 17' 6" Underpurlin is almost mid-span it's at 9'6" and 8'.
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: Rafters are 2x6, This is in Salem Oregon I believe I read code for roof load in my area was 20 or 25lbs sf, but I'm sure you can find it if you need it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Structural Engineer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 5 months ago.
Hello. How are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you
Can you post a picture for me? I've never heard anyone use the term underpurlin
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you kidding me. The contractors I've talked to know what this is. I thought I was talking to an expert. I don't know if I want to go further with you. Look it up on google. Here is a link
I will gladly opt out for you, but the term "under-purlin", while it may be used by laypersons and contractors (possibly only regionally) is not a structural member. The picture you attached is a purlin. I know what a purlin is. An under-purlin, however, is not a term that I've ever heard anyone use; engineer, contractor, or layperson.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes please opt out. I want to see if there is a different engineer that can take my question. Thank you.