StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I hung an aerial hammock into a concrete ceiling. Am I saf

Customer Question

I hung an aerial hammock into a concrete ceiling. Am I safe?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 10 months ago.
What kind of concrete is it? On metal deck? Thickness?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is an apartment building that is approximately 4 years old. I'm on first floor. There are 6 floors. I don't know about thickness. I weigh 137lbs and want to do acrobatic/tricks type stuff from the hammock.
Do you know anything about the slab?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. And I'm pretty sure it's against my lease to have hung it, so I can't really ask! Yikes! Is there another way I could get that information to give to you?
Do you believe it to be structure? Not just a finish?
It appears to be hollow core plank. You have to be very careful drilling into it to not damage rebar or prestressing cables. The additional load on the plank is not a concern, but the connection capacity could be and possibly damaging reinforcing.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you mean do I think it's concrete the whole way through? Yes. We had to rent a stronger drill and use drill bits for concrete to get through. It was difficult to get the anchors in and it felt very solid. I don't know what you mean by damaging reinforcing?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Actually, there was a space between the floors. As in, we drilled in a ways, and then there was space. Then the floor above.
These elements are precast in a concrete plant. They have steel reinforcing and prestressing cables. If you cut those when drilling, it's a big problem.
Yes, that is what you would get with hollow core plank. It's a concrete slab with circular sections taken out of the middle
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
So when you say big problem, what do you mean?
I mean if you damaged reinforcing steel or prestressing cable and the building owner finds out about it you will likely be paying to repair it. It will be a quite expensive repair.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay. Yep. I realize there is a risk. How about my safety using it?
What kind of concrete screws did you use? How much embedment did you get before hitting the void?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have this picture. I'd have to ask my boyfriend for more info and he isn't available at the moment. Does the picture help? Or do you need more specifics?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also, now you have me a little freaked out. The ceiling is not going to fall down, correct??
I can tell it's an expansion anchor. That's it. The diameter, embedment, etc. I can't tell.
I don't expect anything catastrophic, but if anything was damaged and they find out, you'll likely be on the hook for it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay. Thanks. If I get more information about the can I reply to this thread at a later date and get a response from you?
You can come back to this chat string