StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I'm just curious. I haven't formed my question properly yetJ

Customer Question

I'm just curious. I haven't formed my question properly yet
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: OK, I'm designing a large single storey house on columns for a hillside location in an earthquake zone.
JA: OK. Got it. You've come to the right place. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: I have a span of 5m between the outer columns, its a circular structure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Structural Engineer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll send an image, I think that would clarify things. My concern is about the 5m unsupported span that appears in the drawing I have attached.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It has a dead load of approximately 300Kg uniformely distributed along it by the roof, which is a bamboo structure. There will be wind loads adding to that. And it is in an area that regularly experiences force 5 and 6 earthquakes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Actuall the span isnt shown, its missing in the drawing I sent. But you can see where it should be.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 7 months ago.
Hello.
You want a wood beam for that span?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I considered a wooden beam. I have difficulties putting a concrete span there. If you look closely at the columns, you see attachment points for wooden beams and parts of the roof structure and which I also planned as attachments for formwork. My concern is whether it would be sufficient to use timber in that location. The structure ties itself together in a circular fashion and this area might be the weak link in the event of a typhoon or earthquake because of the flexing of a timber beam. I don't understand the behaviour of timber well enough to decide.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My instint is that timber would be ok, but I'm not sure.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi by the way, I'm Steve. Sorry if te information I supplied is a bit sparse. I'm working with a sketchup model and I can give you dimensions off the model or send the model itself but I haven't detailed everything yet.
We can certainly make a wood beam work, it will just be bigger than steel. Do you prefer solid sawn timber or glulam?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Gluelam haha, my resources are rebar, portland cement, coconut timber cut to any size, bamboo in any diameter up to 150mm. I've attached some images of what it could look like based on similar methods I used to support the floors. I didn't complete all the bracing, just one to show my take on it. The cross timbers are 200mm x 50mm (8" x 2") each, verticals are 100mm Square. I guess the question is what would a suitable beam look like if it had no vertical supports. And how would it attach to the columns if it wasn't bolted using the holes I cast into it? Could it be something like an H beam made in timber? Or something else?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Forgot to add the images