walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.

I'm looking beam solution ' span. it will

Customer Question

Hello I'm looking for a beam solution for 28' span. it will support floor joists and roof load (holding up second floor)
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: the total joist length will be ~20'
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: I want the beam and joists to be flush, so joists hanging on beam not sitting on beam.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Structural Engineer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 5 months ago.
I can help. Can I get back with you on a few hours when I get home from work?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes that would be great. I should also add the following - Can I use 2x4's for the columns instead of steel posts? Will the existing conc. block foundation have any issues with the point load of the columns? Also I want to cantilever it off the front, but I assume a beam that can take the 28' load should be just fine with a 4' cantilever. Last - If I need to I do have a wall about midway I could put in another column, but then I have to put something in the basement under it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do have some rough draft drawings if that will help as well. Talk to you in a few hours.
Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1- This would be new Beam #4, 2 - joist span is 20', 3 - I'm planning trusses, 4 - I'm in Michigan, so yes snow load, 5 - roofing will be asphalt shingles.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello just checking in to make sure you are not waiting on me to get you any additional information.
Sorry for the huge delay. I was having internet issues and now I have them resolved.You said above that you have some rough drawings, can you share those with me?