StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I am planning on setting up a 1000lbs fish tank in my family

Customer Question

I am planning on setting up a 1000lbs fish tank in my family room close to an outside wall.
I have a finished basement below. I wanted to know if I need to install additional support underneath to support the weight of the tank.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 8 months ago.
What is the overall size of the tank?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
5 feet by 2.5 feet
It is about 2.5 feet tall
Will the 5' direction be oriented parallel or perpendicular to the joists?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I plan to set the stand (with tank at top) at an angle so that it will be over at least 2 joists.
Does the stand have just 4 legs?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The tank will sit on a solid stand (rectangular box). So it will be a box not just 4 legs. And the stand will be set at an angle, so that the stand will be over 2 or 3 joists.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you need any more information. If not, can you let me know when I can expect an answer to my original question. thanks.
I apologize for the technical difficulty I posted a couple more questions yesterday. Do you know the size, spacing and span of the joists?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No problem, thanks for getting back. The joists are 2x8s and are approximately 16inches apart. The span of the joist is approximately 16 feet. The tank with stand will sit close (less than a 18 inches) to one end of the joists.
If the joists were properly sized, you wouldn't have a problem, but these joists are undersized if they are 2x8 spanning 16'. You should sister every joist that will be supporting this tank and then you'll be ok.