StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer

While working in the attic of my two story colonial on Sunday

Customer Question

While working in the attic of my two story colonial on Sunday I noticed a completely split heavy beam that runs along the side of my house front to back. Its vertical location is just above the second story ceiling, and at the floor level of the attic above the second story. The split in the beam is vertical, running all the way through the beam, but I don't see any space inside the split. Further, for many years when the wind blows hard 40 mph+, I hear a pronounced creaking noise that seems to be coming from that approximate spot. I think I have discovered a problem -- what kind of professional should I call to check it out?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 6 months ago.
That needs to be checked out by a structural engineer. The orientation of the split you describe is consistent with the direction of wind loading and is definitely an issue
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.