walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.

I am a novice Grade Center and I've been hired to lay out

Customer Question

I am a novice Grade Center and I've been hired to lay out and construct a soldier pile retaining wall. I have a 11 x 17 version of the complete plans set. How does the station equation work I have "A" line stationing for roadway Centerline. "Wlol" line for wall layout. Cross sections every 10 feet along "A" line. Right now I need to find elevations for the top of each Soldier pile. The retaining wall structure plan give me elevations at beginning and end of wall also every 20-foot station I would like to be able to double check my elevations against the cross-sections
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 6 months ago.
You have to decide what your starting point are. Are the start and end points set and you want to make sure all the rest make a straight line with the ends?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My starting point is going to be at station 0 0 + 0 7.24 then every seven feet after that I have to drive a pile into the ground is 58 feet long I need to know the top elevation of each of those piles I have a 2 foot barrier slab that goes on the top I also have grade profile in elevation Sheetz when I don't know how to do is use the station equation both the wall and the center line of the roadway are long curves that do not relate each other the engineer gave me cross-section views working off a line therefore I can't use those they don't match with W line. Butt there is a station equation do you know how that works
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If this helps at all it's a state highway project that I'm working on
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Maybe this will help
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hopefully you can see in the plan view nothing is straight
It has to be a straight line connecting the two ends, correct?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No the wall has two separate curves in it. I can give you curve data if necessary. I am not that worried about alignment. Survey should cover that. What I really want to learn is how to use the station equation
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is this more of a civil engineering question? I mean no offense
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is this picture better. The bold line is the wall (wlol) and the faint line in the center of roadway is "A" line.
This is not strictly structural and I don't want to dig out my surveying hat.
I can if you have no other options.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That would be helpful.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there any sheets from this plan set that you may need
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can probably come up with another resource for help with this. Although I don't want to pay $34 for your answer. I hope you understand