walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I am a general contractor and asked to bid on removing load

Customer Question

I am a general contractor and asked to bid on removing load bearing walls in a home. Trying to understand the beam and beam support size
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The house is 2 story plus a basement and measures about 40'x25'. The rectangle is divided in half long ways with load bearing wall dividing the house in half longways. The kitchen/dining room have an 11' wall that is coming out. In between the next space is the entry hall and stairwell. The next space is great room/living room with a 19' span, plus I am adding another 6' because the overhead span (I believe) include the support from the stairwell over to the far side of the great room.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: There are some HVAC supplies and returns, electrical switches and outlets etc. These items we can figure out how to relocate. We know how to temporarily support the ceiling and do most of the work. The length of the kitchen @ 11' doesn't give me a lot of concern but the 25' span does. I mainly need to know if and how to properly support.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Structural Engineer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 7 months ago.
Hello
Is this wall currently supporting the second floor plus the attic?What is the total span of the beam you want?Will it support any ceramic tile?