walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.

Need an example of structural calculation wood beam that

Customer Question

need an example of structural calculation for a wood beam that replaces a bearing wall
We removed a bearing wall and replaced with a beam. The city is asking for "structural calcs" for the beam to justify its size.
Could you direct me to an example that I could use to apply to my own project?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 6 months ago.
I can help
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we removed a wall and replaced with a 6 x 12 Rosenburg LVL 2.0E. Ceiling joists to one side are 8' and 14' on the other side. The beam is supported by two 4 x 6 posts on either side. one post goes into an existing mat footing, the other goes into the continuous footing at the exterior of the house. it's one story and supports an attic above. Can you share a calculation of a similar situation so that I can calc this?
Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted. You gave me some of the information I need. Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1) Beam #3 spanning 20' (of note, the beam is flush with ceiling with ceiling joists hanging from new beam)
2) Ceiling Joists, 8' to one side, 14' to the other side
3) Roof loads transferred to interior walls
4) California, USA
5) Asphalt shingles
6) No
7) Yes, 1 story, no basement
8) NoIf possible, I need to "see the work" of these calculations. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello, any updates?