StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

In need some help with a roof? have drawings to attach to

Customer Question

Hi in need some help with a roof? have drawings to attach to describe what I'm needing please
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 7 months ago.
I can take a look at the drawings. Please attach them here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have just spoken with the builder and they are now moving the velux shown on the elevations which means the pitch is going to be 39 degrees not 35 as drawn on these! I have noted on the drawings what I need sizing and spacing for some steel beam some timber?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi have you managed to take a look at the drawings?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
?? I'm needing these to finish the project if you could get back to me today please?
I can size the beams you need, but I'll need to submit an additional service offer and I also will have some questions and a couple building sections would help
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok Which sections do you need? and could you give me a time frame of when you can do them by? also could you produce a sheet showing the calculations? so I can submit it with the planning application?
I can provide calculations, but they won't be stamped. If you get me everything I need today, I can provide the calculations possibly today, latest tomorrow.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok great I have drawn one section please find it attatched
Thank you. Can you mark on plan which elements you need calculations for and then provide a building section in both directions through that space? If I need any other sections or information I will let you know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've written on the plans what I need will have to do the section later as I have to pick my children up from school!
A couple quick comments. Manufactured scissor trusses (or custom scissor trusses) will not require a ridge beam. It would be a ridge beam with rafters or scissor trusses with blocking between them at the ridge.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I thought as they were having a steel frame they would need a ridge beam to tie it together? they are wanting a vaulted ceiling that's why they want the scissor trusses so they can be exposed?
If you want the ridge beam, you don't need scissor trusses. You can't use a ridge beam with scissor trusses. The trusses would need to interrupt the ridge beam, so it would no longer be a beam
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So how would you do it? the client suggested the steel roof? just keep it timber? I apologise I'm still learning as I go haven't long set up my own business. always had back up in the office
No problem. If I were framing this, I would use the ridge beam with stick framed rafters. That will give the most robust structure and it's pretty simple to install. The scissor trusses are the simplest to install and the least effort on my part, but they introduce other potential problems by putting the design in the hands of the truss guys.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you how far apart can you have the scissor truss spacing? The client really wants the scissor trusses as he likes the overall look with the vaulted ceiling but he doesn't want to many?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
could you just give me the sizes of the steel A frame and the ridge beam?
Do you need the other former framing, too?
I can submit the additional service offer in about 30 minutes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have contacted a local roofing company and they are going to supply the timber so only need the steel sizes now thank you so much for your help
I submitted the offer. I can get this to you today
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How is it so much? you did the sizes of the beams and columns for only £26?