walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I'm ***** *****, i had a question regarding moving a lally

Customer Question

Hi I'm ***** *****, i had a question regarding moving a lally column / removing it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sure, I have a basement (concrete) 93" tall (to the joists), about 40'x40' 2 steel i beam spanning the entire 40' roughly 11' apart and 11' away from one wall, dividing the basement in 3
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Structural Engineers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 8 months ago.
How many lally columns do you have along the 40' length of each beam?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The home is a 2 story home with attic, beams are 8" tall (not sure about width). There is 3 lally columns on each of the beams. Pictures are attached.
Are the beams spliced anywhere along their length? or are they single 40' long pieces?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Single Piece
Ok. How would you like the new layout to look?
Before I accept the phone call offer, let me ask a question. If it doesn't work with the layout you want with the beam as-is, would you want to reinforce the beam to make your layout work?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, obviously cost is a factor so i'm looking for the best alternative which is also affordable (of sorts) basically i'm trying to fit a room 15x25 in this space. also trying to gain as much height as possible. so if there is a way to save the 8" of beam height somewhere. basically this is the room i'm trying to make.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
this one shows columns moved and 2 more added but i would also prefer it without any columns in that space.
No columns in the colored spaces?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
in the top section of the colored space, theres a white line separating the lower colored area, that space can contain the beams, preferably I would embed them in the framing, which is planned for about 15' from the top wall
Can you show me what your new post layout would look like? Ideally?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
like this photo, but instead of being 11' from the top wall, 15' away
Ok. And these are supporting two floors and an attic? Any ceramic tile?Can you measure the exact depth and width of the beam and the flange thickness?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ceramic tiles in the bathrooms.here's a pic of the house from outside and some pictures from inside. Can't measure the beam as we just bought the house and closing should be in a couple weeks or so.http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/45-Woodfield-Dr-Webster-NY-14580/31000091_zpid/
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have to head out, call me if possible, or we could continue this tomorrow.
Ok. We'll continue tomorrow.
Were you able to get the dimensions of the beam?