walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Have a rotten 9' section of 4x6 sill on a 1960 single wall,

Customer Question

Have a rotten 9' section of 4x6 sill on a 1960 single wall, single story post and pier home. The damaged section sits directly below a bathroom I just tore out to build a new shower enclosure. There is a 4x6 post "supporting" the damaged section of the sill, but the sill is basically hollow and so I'm not sure the post below it is really supporting anything at all. There is a 2x6 sister end to the damaged section of the sill that was apparently done by the shower installers but it too is hollowed out rotten and secured to the existing sill on only about half its total length.
Can I frame out stud walls to support the exterior wall above the sill while I cut away/replace the damaged sill?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 8 months ago.
Hello.
Are you able to post a picture?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes see attached. First two are outside structure where you can see the 4x6 post (green) with angled supporting 2x4's. The third is taken from inside structure where you can see the sister end 2x6 on the left
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Any ideas on this?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello, are you still there?
I am
You can do a number of things to temporarily support the wall while replacing the sill. You could sister each stud on the outside down to a sill on grade. I'm not sure you build a temporary wall on each side, but as long as the wall is supported.