walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.

What is the lightest ridge beam I could use to clear span a

Customer Question

What is the lightest ridge beam I could use to clear span a 50' roof, with full calculations. The roof slope is 9/12 and the rafter length is 20'. I don't care if it is LVL or steel, but I do need to see the exact calculations (and assumptions) so I could perform this for slightly different parameters (I do have a math background). I don't care about the depth of the beam, just the overall weight. This is for Mississauga, Ontario (to calculate snow load), and it holds only the roof, no attic or floor.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 6 months ago.
I can provide detailed calculations as an additional service. It would include calculations for bending, shear, and deflection. Or I can just provide the beam size as this question.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Relist: Other.
I think I asked one question but was told it would be twice the cost to show his work. I think it is one question.

Maybe another expert would be willing to do this.