StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Plans 24' x 24' perimeter Carport - Where? A website

Customer Question

Plans for a 24' x 24' perimeter Carport - Where? A website that you have used before with plans for open carport.
I want to price and perhaps build a 24' x 24' perimeter Carport
Open walls. The roof will be Ondura tiles and purlins. A Ondura tile is 4' x 1.5 feet at 5 lbs each. Gable side.
http://ondura.com/products-ondura.shtml
My plan is to use 6 or 8 (3 or 4 on each side either 12' or 8' a part) - 8' 6"x6" PT post on 3' sonotube footers
What is the best trust Fink or King for a 5/12 roof for a 24' span and 24' depth hung?
What lumber to build the trust and what lumber for the headers?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello
The king post truss generally uses fewer members that are a little larger. Either is perfectly acceptable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

What lumber to build the trust and what lumber for the headers for a 24' x 24' perimeter Carport with open walls? The roof will be Ondura tiles and purlins. A Ondura tile is 4' x 1.5 feet at 5 lbs each. Structure will be tethered my existing home.

My plan is to use 6 or 8 (3 or 4 on each side either 12' or 8' a part) - 8' 6"x6" PT post on 3' sonotube footers.

My primary questions are what lumber to build the trusses and what lumber for the headers and purlins for a 24' x 24' perimeter Carport with open walls?

Thanks.

I can provide a full truss design (including the connections) as an additional service if you're interested. Or I can just size the header as this question.
Do you want posts at the corners only?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How much of a bonus to answer this?:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you know of a web site with a set of cheap plans that would provide for a 24' x 24' perimeter and a 5/12 pitch roof using the very light weight Ondura tiles of corrugated metal?

I am reasonable and value driven.

How much $ for your help?

I don't know of a different web site. I will submit an offer to design a single truss and provide sketches of the connections. And to also design the header beam. If you accept, I'll need about a day to get everything together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Too rich for me.

So now what?

I will opt out for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You engaged my question with this initial text:

http://ondura.com/products-ondura.shtml

You did not answer: What lumber to build the trust and what lumber for the headers? although it was in my initial post. Not answering this prior to opting out will require that I give a poor rating.

I do not need a drawing and other for a $ 375 fee. As a long time JA customer, I do not consider the result of me asking a clear questions on the original post to morph into a cost of > $ 25. There is a web site that offers full plans for $ 175 and local engineers less expensive.

I need you answer my questions from the initial post when you engaged this question:

What lumber to build the trust and what lumber for the headers given the data I provided re: 6 - 6" x 6" post and the other data provided? or earn a poor rating.

Hello, Jerry. I understand and I'm sorry you feel that way, but designing a truss and beam for even just gravity loading (there is still lateral to consider), including connections, for this question as-is is just not realistic. It just isn't. I know what a typical cost is for something like this is, so if you have a local engineer willing to do it for less, then you're getting a hell of a deal and you should jump on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Let me ponder for a day or so what is just.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In what ways can you distinguish\contrast the cost to me of using JA to get you to give me info vs engaging you via your own direct retail web site?

Hello. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I didn't get a notice that you responded. I can't discuss that in the chat. Email at me at***@******.*** and I will discuss it with you there.