walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a 24' x 60' 1960"s National Home ranch with a shallow

Customer Question

I have a 24' x 60' 1960"s National Home ranch with a shallow pitch 3/12 or 4/12 would be my guess. I want to remove a 24" cross wall to open the living area and am wondering the size of ceiling beam I would need to accomplish that.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 7 months ago.
Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The house is a 24' x 60' single story home on a concrete slab. The roof is a 3/12 pitch. A very shallow roof. I am attaching a couple of pictures of the attic truss system. There is a center wall the length of the 60' with opening at various spots. There is a wall that runs across the 24" span that I am looking to remove. I am wondering what size beam to span the 24' and if I would need a post in the middle where the center wall dropped down to the slab
Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted. The center wall that splits the house in two and runs the 60' length of the house looks like a bearing wall from your pictures. Can you tell if your ceiling joists run perpendicular to the long middle wall and rest on that wall and the exterior walls of the house? Or do the ceiling joists run parallel to the long center wall?