walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a 22 ft wall that want to remove. This wall is a exterior

Customer Question

I have a 22 ft wall that want to remove. This wall is a exterior wall of hollow blocks.
I need to confirm the size of the LVL. planing on placing a post in the middle, so that reduces the span to 11ft.
The wall carries 1 floor above and the roof, the addition room, residential bedroom.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 10 months ago.
I can help
Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1.- Beam #4 it is a 1 storey house.
2.- Floor Joist span is 9 ft
3.- No trusses the house is older.
4.- Canada, Acton, Ontario.
5.- Ashalt Shingle, might change to metal roof.The exterior wall has an almost flat roof attached to it. (12' span) nothing on top, this is the addition I mention in my first email. Please include your data calculations on your answer.
What would be different if the beam to be replaced is also #2? Total house width is 22'. Let me know if you need more info Thanks.
So does this house have a crawl space under the 1st floor and a concrete block perimeter wall?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, it is a side split.
It has concrete floor with block perimeter
This section of the house is half way below grade. The living room and kitchen has a full basement, all connected with half length stairs.
I am having a bit of difficulty picturing your configuration. Could you please draw a rough cross section drawing with some dimensions and attach it to the Chat Window? I want to make sure I fully understand your layout.