StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Name is ***** ***** P. I need to open up a kitchen into

Customer Question

Hi, name is ***** ***** P. I need to open up a kitchen into a living area. Need to remove load bearing wall (supports ends of ceiling joists). Span is 20'. Load over the span would be ~821 lbs/lineal ft. What size bean would I need? Open to steel, lvl, or dimensional lumber. Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am assuming a dead load of 15psf and a live load of 20 psf. I calculated my total load to be ~16,425 pounds
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Structural Engineers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I'll be happy to assist you.
Will this beam support attic joists only?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, attic only joists only. I live in the southwest and have very little snow too.
I won't worry about snow since it's not supporting the roof.
That loads looks high, but for that load and span, you need a 7" x 16" 2.0E LVL to limit deflection to 3/4"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I calculated the load by taking estimated dead loads and applying it to the square footage supported, which includes partial of an addition whose roof line sits on top in the area to be spanned. Your previous reply stated your weren't worried about snow since it wasn't supporting the roof, however it does support the roof.
That was why I asked if it supported the attic only, to which you replied that it did.
The beam size provided is what is needed for the load provided.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought you were asking if there was a second story or loft area over this load. Generally the roof goes over the attic which would thereby be supported by whatever is supporting attic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In addition to the LVL can you tell me the needed size for a steel I beam?
W10x33 beam ASTM A992 Gr. 50.
Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.