StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I need to know the size of thee header beams that will take

Customer Question

I need to know the size of thee header beams that will take the load of what is the exterior side of the house. Single story home 40' x 24' single gabled roof, pitch 4/12, split down the middle 12' of composite shingle roof falling away to either side with the axis running 40' down the center.
We are pushing out the side of the house 8' the entire 40' from the front to the back of the house using a split pitch roof to cover the additional area. the pitch of that shed style roof is 2/12 The split in the pitch of the roof starts two feet inside the old foot print of the house or 10 feet from the new exterior wall to where the roofs pitch is changed.
We are incorporating the new area into three different rooms with studded walls separating them which will break up the length of the beams we need which are 14,14,10. The roof span from these beams will be 12' in one direction and 8' in the other direction. I have drawings and more information if needed. the issue is that I don't want to lower the headroom more than I have to so I would like to get the lightest and shortest engineered beam that will work. Can you tell me the loads so I can find the best beam?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 8 months ago.
Hello
I can help. Each beam should be a separate question. I can submit an additional service offer to do all 3 in one or would you rather ask as separate questions?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The three beams need to be 2 at 14 feet long and one at 10feet
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
single story wooden house in Hawaii. no snow ever! beam spans are 14 feet and 10 feet but the roof spans from the beam are 12 feet off one side and 8 feet to the other side
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
one of the 14 foot beams runs from the front of the house (was the front left corner) and travels back toward the center of the house. The gable roof in the front extends two feet out from the front of the house and the front end of that beam. that may also add to the static load?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry I just read what you said about separate questions, That first beam of 14 feet from front of house back is the most important please work on that one. then I will ask about the others if I need to.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I haven't used this service before, Should I be waiting while you work in case you have more questions or do you send me an email when done or what is required of me at this point?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would you like me to send you a drawing? - I see that I can add a file and send it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The drawing is viewing the beam from the tail end and shows the roofing that it supports on each side.
Thank you for the sketch
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When you enlarge the drawing it may be blurry but it shows clearly what the beam is holding up on each side. to the right is the new extension showing where we split the pitch which doesn't land precisely on the beam but two feet inside from where the old wall was. On the left it shows the high beam ceiling with the rafters running up to the ridge beam. Horizontally that is 12 feet. Only the front corner or 25% of the ceiling is open beam the rest is regular joists.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
where is the answer? I received a notice saying they were charging me but I haven't seen the answer anywhere????
I'm trying to look at the sketch but may need a clearer copy