StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I want to remove 14' of bearing to open from the dining room

Customer Question

I want to remove 14' of bearing to open from the dining room to my den which is an existing room addition. Plus want it to be flush ceiling, with no expose beam. The beam will sit on the outer top plates of two bearing walls. I have a gabble engineer truss roof "A" FRAME which is sitting on the bearing wall I want to remove. Note: This wall use to be the back wall with a 6' sliding door opening before the room addition. The 6' opening is now the entrance to the den. The proposed opening will be on the right side corner wall of the house, to the left side of the corner of the existing 6' opening. so basically removing additional 8' of bearing wall, which will make it a 14 foot opening in to the existing room addition. Please let me know if you need additional information. Thank You
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello
What is the truss span on each side of the beam?
What is the city and state do I can look at snow load?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure of the question, but the total span of the engineer gabble truss is 40'. No snow area where I live in California. I have attach a drawing, hopefully it will help

What is the length of the members framing into the truss?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what your question means, but the overall length of my Engineer Gabble truss is a 40feet span sitting on the outer bearing wall, and the peek of the truss is 10feet high.

Is the truss parallel or perpendicular to the wall? How many of these trusses are there and what is the spacing? Is it just plywood on top of them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One truss is parallel to the wall which is sitting on it. I have 1/2" Plywood with composition asphalt roof shingle.

You say one truss is parallel? Does that mean others are perpendicular?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of the trusses run in the same direction, from the front of the house to the back of the house. (parallel). As far as how many truss are on the house, there must be around 30 trusses. No trusses are running perpendicular with the bearing wall which is in question.
If you mean the wall directly below the gable end truss, why do you think that is load beading wall?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the wall is directly below the gable end truss, and this is the one I want to remove 14' of wall. The reason I know it is a bearing wall, because this use to be the back wall of the house, before I added my room addition. At that time I dug to expose the footing, so that I could tie-into the footing with rebar for the new room addition.

Is the wall supporting floor joists? It can't be bearing for the roof.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No floor joists involved. It is a single story house. I think at this time I will just leave the bearing wall in. Thanks for help any ways.
It can't be a bearing wall if it isn't supporting any framing