walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Raised ceiling joist, 12' wide room, 10 in 12 gable roof.

Customer Question

raised ceiling joist
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 12' wide room, 10 in 12 gable roof. Would like to move ceiling joists up the 2x10 rafters 16" above wall height, wall height is the location of the existing ceiling joists.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Structural Engineers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 8 months ago.

I can help

The Code allows you to move your ceiling joists/rafter ties up a maximum distance of HC/HR= 1/3

See below

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any more questions

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

You answer was clear and concise and timely. I was put off by the business model.

Thanks for your help, Howard

Glad I could help