StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Well here's my question: I have a single story cinder block

Customer Question

well here's my question: I have a single story cinder block building with a wood joisted tar and gravel roof 85 x 33. there are 2 w18x50 I-beams spanning the width (33ft). 1) 15 ft from the front of the building 2) 15ft from the there with a cinderblock 15 ft from the second beam there is another I-beam between there and the rear wall. The building was built in 1965 to add another 2 stories.
JA: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: oops the question was what is the load limit for the 2 I-beams in the front section? Will they support a load limit of 5,000 pounds hanging between them 8 feet from the cinderblock side wall?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Structural Engineer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 8 months ago.

Hello

Are you asking about this in addition to the typical dead load and snow load?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I want to partially support a mezzanine to hold whisky, but I don't want to rebuild everything
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
have not received a response as of yet
I apologize for the delay. I didn't receive a notice that you responded.So are these beans spaced at 15' on center?
What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading?
Do you know the thickness of the gravel? If not, I can make an assumption.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
crazy busy week! first beam (center) 13.5' from front of building, 2nd beam 16' center, 3rd beam 18' to concrete beam with 6' span on a supporting cinder block wall spanning the width of the building, this was the original rear wall of the building prior to the loading bay being walled & roofed in, a 4th smaller beam (12" I beam) situated 16' from wall and 3' from the rear wall of the building. The building is located at***** Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. There is very minimal gravel, we are going to re-roof the building in the near future using vinyl. Our new HVAC unit will weigh >800lbs, no sky lights. You can see in google earth the how the original wall is situated. I have an opportunity to place an 1.5" steel colum to assist in supporting the C8 beam in its center.

No problem. I will get back to you this evening with the results.

The W18x50 will work for the existing load + a 5,000 pound load 8' from the ends provided the top flange is continuously braced and the steel is Gr. 50. This is good for L/240 deflection.