walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.

Can you please tell me if a W6x20x10' steel beam can carry

Customer Question

Hi, can you please tell me if a W6x20x10' steel beam can carry the same load as a triple 2x10x10 wood beam?
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I would like to take down bearing wall between kitchen and dinning room. The span is 10'. Above this wall is the second floor bedrooms. The bearing wall supports the second floor 2x8 floor joists.
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: the two rooms together total 22' and the bearing wall is in the middle at 11'. The second floor joists are 2x8x12's. They span from either end of the house and meet on top of the bearing wall.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Structural Engineer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 7 months ago.

I can help

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you please send your questions to my email address ***@******.*** the link you asked me to click brings me to gmail sign in page.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Brad. Your drawing is pretty on point to the current house layout. The house is 22' wide. The basment beam #1 is 8x8 wood beam supported by 6" steal lally columns. On the first floor where i would like to put the new support beam (#2) is currently 2x4 stud framing 16 oc. I would like to open that wall 10'. Typically i would have used a triple 2x10 or triple 2x12 supported by 4x4 columns at each end. However i am trying to not come 10" or 12" down from the ceiling and was hoping that a W6 x 20 steel beam with 4" square steel columns at each end would do the job. The joist span for joists 1,2,3,4 are all the same. They are 2x8x12's with a 1' overhang on either side of the basment beam and first floor stud wall. The roof is 7/12 pitch. 2x8 rafter and ridge framing. Plywood sheathing and asphalt shingle. The home is located in Staten Island NY.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Sorry for the huge delay. I was having major internet issues and had to have Verizon come out and replace my can-tenna. I am looking at your information right now.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You can use a W6x20 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 10’ span beam. The beam is 6” wide and 6.25” deep. It weighs 20 pounds per foot of beam length.

Your 4" square steel columns will work fine.

You will need to check to make sure you have column supports in the basement, directly below your new 4x4 columns on the 1st floor. You should not add large point loads in the span of the existing 8"x8" basement beam.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks